Thursday, September 27, 2012

I will survive!

Here's a lesson I've learned in the past year, living in NYC:


You must love your survival job. Or you won't survive.

It's really the truth. I've gone from hostess at a west village restaurant, to corn maze worker, to bar maid at an irish bar, etc etc etc. Whew. And those are just the ones I remember having for more than a hot second.

I think the key is, as an actress, is to find a job that allows you to be flexible with your hours, allows you to audition, and doesn't completely drain you of all mental and physical health. Working til 3 AM at a bar, screaming over drunk business men's heads? Not exactly ideal. Although, that is the stereotype for most actresses...being a waitress. No thanks. Been there, done that. Sure, you might make some good cash one night...but the next? Who knows.

Now I currently work as a promotional model for boutique Broadway marketing agency. Meaning, I pass out flyers in red tights, character shoes, and a leotard....oh, and I sing and dance, too. I also promote other shows, but those ones aren't nearly as theatrical. Anyways, this job is actually quite perfect for any actress looking for make some money but also have time to commit to her craft. I give my availability for the week, and that's generally when I work. It also pays incredibly well and gives you the chance to hone your skills and stamina. I mean, who knows...maybe there will be an audition where you have to sing 'All That Jazz'  30 times over. Well, my friend....you will own that audition.


I don't know...this little post just crept up on me, and I couldn't help but share my thoughts. So...happy Thursday to you. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment